Old 02-25-2016, 05:13 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by MtnGrl View Post
I am jumping in with a related question. My ATP written expires next month. Do I need to take an MEL ATP check ride or is a SE ride sufficient - even if I plan to fly twin engines? I know someone who is flying for SkyWest who took their ATP check ride in a Cessna 310. ATP is a license not a rating right?
If you plan to get a ATP MEL and your written results expire, you will need to complete the ATP CTP training program. You can not get around this by getting a SE ATP while the results are valid. The FAA split the MEL and SE apart for this reason and specifically wrote these requirements into the MEL requirement.

Do whatever you have to so you can get your ATP MEL before those results expire, THEN you can "add on" the SE, but it doesn't work in reverse.
(f) Adding a multiengine class rating or airplane type rating to an airline transport pilot certificate with a single engine class rating. A person applying to add a multiengine class rating or airplane type rating to an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category single engine class rating must—

(1) Meet the eligibility requirements of §61.153;

(2) After July 31, 2014, pass a required knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas of §61.155(c), as applicable to multiengine airplanes; unless a pilot can present valid airline transport pilot knowledge test results from a test taken prior to August 1, 2014.

(3) Comply with the requirements in §61.157(b), if applicable;

(4) Meet the applicable aeronautical experience requirements of §61.159; and

(5) Pass a practical test on the areas of operation of §61.157(e)(2).

Edit:had the wrong section pasted initially

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 02-25-2016 at 05:47 PM.