View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 03:23 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by UConnQB14 View Post
ive been around this forum for about 3 years now and have noticed that there are two general theories on this forum: one is the pay and management sucks, and the second is that there are sentiments around people going to regionals "just to fly a jet" and subsequently taking the seat of the career guys who are looking for upgrades and time..

my question is this. i am a guy who wants to experience airline life and fly a regional jet for a year or two, with no intention of ever looking for upgrades or for a major job. because of this, i will be deemed as taking the seat of someone who wants a career.

if both of us are using the airline for the same thing (to better our own causes), what makes me worse than the other guy?
Depending on where you go to work, maybe nothing. Since you obviously have life and job flexibility, hold out for a non bottom-feeder airline. Besides, if you're just doing it to have fun, you don't want to put up with the BS that many entry-level pilots tolerate while striving for the brass ring down the road.

Be advised that "hobbyist" airline pilots are not really appreciated in the industry...there is a perception (correct in most cases) that they don't care about, and will not bother supporting, the long-term standards that the career folks are striving for.

These types are usually early retirees with a few years left who want to "live the dream" for a while. Or girls who married money and want to have some fun before they start popping out the puppies.

Last edited by rickair7777; 08-02-2007 at 03:45 PM.