View Single Post
Old 02-26-2016, 09:50 PM
bedrock
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: ERJ, CA

A lot of this has been answered on the forum BUT, your research is essentially correct. It is an incredibly expensive (especially when you factor in opportunity cost) career choice which won't pay well for maybe 10 years AFTER you start working in commercial aviation. It is not the kind of thing you should pursue with a "try it out" kind of attitude, simply because it is so expensive. A pvt. pilot's licence is in the neighborhood of 8-10K. All the necessary ratings including instructors are going to run about 100K. Up until very recently, you started out making a salary in the teens, this is probably why there is a "pilot shortage"--actually there is no shortage, just a shortage of those willing to spend so much to earn so little.

IF you really have the desire to become a commercial pilot, and I mean REALLY are obsessed with it, then pursue it, if not, don't. It is a cruel mistress. It is my second career, and unfortunately I was caught in the last ten years of stagnation; I was lucky enough to make captain at regional and I make about 90K, BUT many have been stuck 8 yrs making less than half that. Pay is now getting better as regional and other traditionally low paying jobs can't attract employees anymore. Major airlines can still be very choosy whom they hire.

Even going into the military to fly is not going to guarantee you become a pilot, many are being tagged to fly drones. For a youngish man without family, and able to survive on the minimum for a few years, it's probably the best time to get into aviation. If you are flexible, you can fly anywhere in the world. But you really, really have to want it. That means no real home, moving around a lot. Losing out on friends and relationships as you move and work every holiday and weekend. If you make it, it will be a great adventure, but you will have a lot scars and sacrifices made.

Don't go to Emrby Riddle--way way over priced. Get a degree in something you can use like STEM or business. When the airlines lay off, there may be NO jobs in aviation for a while. If you can learn a marketable skill outside aviation do that too that too.