View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 05:53 AM
gringo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: Under the Frog

Originally Posted by Albief15 View Post
Careful Robthree...

Several guys I know have left Atlas, Kalitta, and Ryan for better pastures the last two years, including FedEx, American, Delta, and United.

Not advocating one course over the other...but guys ARE getting plucked here and there from ACMI gigs into other options.
Not at all what Robthree was implying.

He was saying that ACMI is, at best, a lateral move from most regionals (the glaring exception being Atlas)

Lots of guys, myself included, bailed from the regional world early, thinking that some widebody time would hasten my path to the majors. Instead, it did the exact opposite; had I stayed at my first regional I likely would have been picked up at a legacy years ago. Instead, my career stagnated.

While many guys do indeed get picked up by the legacies after a stint in ACMI land, the bottom line remains that most would have gotten to their end goal far sooner had they just stayed put.

Obviously, there are exceptions to this rule, and should a person find themselves at an incredibly crappy regional then by all means, take the plunge, but I can only think of maybe one or two such regionals where this plan of action would make sense.