Old 03-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Flyboy8088
B744 for 17 days a month

Joined APC: Dec 2014
Position: B747-400 CA

Originally Posted by aviatorhi View Post
Just curious as well, how long is initial training?

And want to confirm what the K4 definition of Business Casual is. Got some people telling me to wear a suit, but don't want to go too far over the top.
I went to the interview with a button down shirt, tie, business-casual vest, and dress pants. Half-way between a suit and normal business casual. I was hired. I know some just dressed like they were going to an office job and were hired, others wore suits. I would recommend somewhere in the middle, but this is entirely up to you.

As for how long Initial Training ran, I started on December 14th, flew my first flight in the B747-400 during IOE on the 11th of February. That was with the week between Christmas and New Years off.

Basically, read the manuals as soon as you have access to them. Watch the training CBTs (computer based training) as soon as you have access to them too. Week one in class is indoc with the GOM. Then you have about a week to do the CBTs. Week two in class is systems with an oral at the end. Week three is already in the FTD, ending with a procedures eval. Week four is in the sims with a maneuvers eval at the end of that week. Finally, week five is lofts, with the final checkride (the LOE) at the end. It is fast, so you need to make good use of your time.