Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 AM
MaydayMark
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: MD-11 Captain
Default What are good pay and BENEFITS really worth?

I sometimes complain and whine about how Management and ALPA could do things better. I'm ALWAYS sincere about wanting more. Many of my ideas don't cost anyone money. Shouldn't we all work towards the same goal of moving the freight to our customers as efficiently as possible.

From my perspective, our lives might be much easier "if" someone in Management just made a decision to do the "right thing." Would they be risking some of their MBO bonus by actually showing some LEADERSHIP? Is there a way to have line pilot input to Management bonuses?

Among the issues that I've tried my best to take a stand on over the years ...

- At one point we probably had the worst Safety record in the industry! Was it just a coincidence that we didn't participate in well established ALPA Safety programs?

- With our time sensitive scheduling it seems to me that "the system" knows the minute we take off and accordingly, it also knows (hours in advance?) what our arrival time will be at block in. Why would we EVER have to wait as long as an hour for a lineman and stairs?

- Having been both a Navy Squadron Operations Officer and Safety Officer and having spent time at a major passenger airline, I approached Management and Training several times during my first 2 years at FedEx. "At my previous airline we had a better way of doing XYZ." I was astounded that their reaction was universally one of disinterest!*? They honestly didn't want to hear it! The message was clear ... we make TONS of money, why would we want to change anything? Shut up and color!

- At one point during my first year MD-11 f/o off-site training they literally couldn't tell me what my schedule was going to be the NEXT DAY! REALLY!*? Other airlines send you your training schedule 30 days before your training begins! They've actually done this before.

So, in all fairness, if I'm going to complain when things don't seem to be managed in a professional manner I also have to recognize when they are. It is with this thought in mind that I write this posting.

I've been out on LTD for several years now. It sometimes seems as though no one at FedEx even knows I'm out here in "retirement land" trying my best to get back to work. Fortunately, we have REALLY GOOD benefits and my LTD check shows up promptly each month. The "LTD gauntlet" isn't especially easy to navigate (it seems like someone at FedEx or ALPA would be there to coach us through the maze)?

My most recent "hurdle" came when after being out on LTD for 24 months Medicare asked if I wanted to enroll in Medicare Part B? So far as I knew I was eligible to keep my current healthcare benefits at our employee rate. Why would I want to sign up for an extra expensive Healthcare Premium every month? I politely said, "No thanks." It turns out that was the WRONG ANSWER!*?

Several months later I received a letter from FedEx stating that because I was now eligible for Medicare, that effective the first of the following month that my Anthem BC/BS would only pay as a "Secondary Payor" and that if I was not enrolled in Medicare that Anthem would only pay what they would have paid if I had Medicare coverage! I called Medicare and asked what they recommended now. To make a very long story a bit shorter they told me I need to get a short form from FedEx. That was the easy part.

Two weeks later the FedEx PBA, ALPA and my Congressman were all making calls to the Social Security Administration asking what they needed to do so that I would have Medicare coverage for some (very serious) upcoming surgery???

Later, when it appeared as though Medicare would NOT approve my "Special Enrollment Period" exception FedEx stepped up to the plate and said that they would cover my emergency medical expenses.

In the end my Medicare application was approved and my surgery has the luxury of having time for me to get a second opinion. For a short time I was VERY CONCERNED about having NO INSURANCE!

I want to thank FedEx for being there when I really needed them. I'll take back half of the bad things I've said about them over the years.

Respectfully,