Thread: ALPA
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Route66
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I was just thinking about all of the shortcomings of our contract today. Maybe getting another unpaid 30 hour layover had something to do with it. I vaguely recall some of these issues being discussed leading up to the vote last year, but I really don't remember any union leadership on why we, as a group, should even consider looking beyond pay rates and maybe try to get some work rules fixed. The discussions were out there for those involved enough to read a forum or dial in to a town hall phone call, but it sure seemed like the average line pilot just thought, "hey, these pay rates look pretty good!" I don't know if the union "sold" this to us, but to not make a concerted effort to make sure everyone knew what we were signing up for is to me a failure of leadership.

I don't know if the reality of 11 hour 3 day trips and Group II A321s and worthless contractual language for hotels, among other things, is setting in with everyone. It's easy for the no voters, and the people who say they're no voters to say "I told you so", but this really ought to be a teachable moment for all of us.

We're absolutely not independent contractors. I can't take my skills and get my same pay and position at another carrier. We actually are a union and I believe we can be a better one if someone at the top could articulate why.
You can't "teach" what someone already knows....or "think" they know. Eaglefly just told ME he has already "learned" it therefore the "teachable moment" is lost on those that are evidently "in the know".