View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 06:22 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Flyer2000 View Post
Line holder or reserve, it doesn't matter. I believe the preferred method by ANY employer is to let the company know your Drill dates as soon as you can. At SkyWest I'm sure they would appreciate knowing them prior to the PBS load so they could pre assign you for it. My unit published our UTA's for the entire year. Sometimes these were subject to change, but I could usually let skywest know ahead of the month so it wasn't an issue.

as for AFTP's or any other status less than 30 days, you simply need to notify scheduling that you will need MIL days on these dates. If it happens to be in the middle of a trip you can use user time to cover the legs lost to get you back to domicile. You are not required to provide orders. They may ask, but it is not required unless you go over 30 days.
What he said. If you submit the "application" (they call it an application but under USERRA it's just a notification and they have no choice but to honor it) at least a couple of work days before the bid closes, it will be pre-assigned and you will not have trips overlapping your mil days. That's easier than having to split a trip in the middle, but if some military requirement comes up after the bid, you can do that.

Also...usually best to add a travel/rest day on either end of your mil leave. A work day can be SCHEDULED to end as late as 0200 on the FOLLOWING day...so since you have to go home, sleep, and report to the unit at 0700, that's obviously a problem (especially if you fly for the military). To say nothing of a commute by air or a long drive.