Thread: AF to airlines
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Par18
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2013
Position: AV-8B

Originally Posted by USMCF18 View Post
I was researching Higher Power today as I read the threads you posted, and I do have the GI Bill available to me with no better uses so that is certainly an option. I assume the ATP/737 type rating is a must have? The regionals certainly would not be beneath me as it looks like that just may be the lay of the land based on ending my career at a desk. Try to make myself as attractive as possible and be flexible to the realities as they develop.
I'm a Harrier guy and in the same boat as you. I'm about a year away from getting out and I've been flying a desk for the last 3 years. I'm planning on getting the multi-engine check in the box this year and continue to build my time. Luckily, I am able to afford an inexpensive aircraft to make this happen and I should have about a 1000TT by next year. I'm sure any worthy airline won't give two stinks about single engine piston time but its better than nothing. While I will put in apps to the Majors, I'm doubtful anything will come of it. So, the backup plan is to head to the local regional here in Virginia Beach, which will allow me to remain local until I have the hours I need. Along with that, I'm going to hit the reserves but I haven't really decided the exact location/squadron yet. Life won't be easy for a while but i'm looking forward to a deployment free life.