Old 08-04-2007, 12:40 PM
CAL EWR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

You are correct our contract sucks we wouldn't have 1rst year 757 and 777 Fo's or 3 year 737 CA's if it wasn't for pos 02. It is an indication of how bad our contract and working conditions have falllen no doubt I agree 100%. Our expansion is far below what it should be to correctly staff our airline under duty rigs, work rules, staffing formula etc. A widebody FO should be far more senior than junior CA no arguments here.

The fact remains nothing is going to change until we fight for a new contract. I am ready to fight to the bitter end up for a real contract, we are on the same page.

Where we disagree is we are where we are and unfortunately we can not change it until the new contract. So I can be happy someone makes captain in two years. In my case I worked for cal with worse working conditions and pay then today and it took me 12 years to upgrade. So it could be worse.

That in no way is a cop out or justifing where we are today. By the way UAL had 3 year 737 CA's with a contact far better to ours today in the late 90's

Is it cause for celebration hell no! But if someone can upgrade under our POS instead of being a FO with a terrible life style then more power to them and I am happy for them.

I am in Madrid right now. I spent three hours walking around and eating dinner educating the FO and IRO on our history, contract 02 debacle and where we want to go. Ask them I am in no justifing what we have just the opposite. There response why is the first I have heard all of this history from a CAL captain.