Old 03-14-2016, 05:15 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by PerfInit View Post
Good summary USMCFLYR... I interviewed in 2008. Your interview summary is very similar to my experience. For the flight portion, I was left seat, and check pilot in right seat. I wasn't typed in the Be-300 but have flown alot of King Airs. After a short briefing (route/wx/rules of the game) We ran the checklist as a crew. He let me start the engines (very trusting soul)... I taxiied, normal takeoff, clearance direct to the VOR for a direct entry holding pattern. Once established in the hold, we broke off that, requested block altitude for steep turns and then one approach to landing stall. Then vectors for raw data ILS to a missed approach, and then vectors for an RNAV GPS approach to a full stop landing. Very straightforward, no tricks, no abnormals or emergencies. I actually had fun because I got to fly, which rarely happens anymore... Thought it all went very well, but I was not selected for the position. You going for SMF or FTY?? Good luck to you, Sir! Anything but tornadoes and ice storms would be good!
It wasn't my interview summary.
I'm firmly entrenched at KOKC for the past 5 years and not planning on moving on any time soon (that I know of )

My flight profile was very much like yours too.
My check pilot actually had me land it too which I thought was EXTREMELY trusting considering I'd never flown any King Air - and worse yet had not **flared** in nearly 20 years!
IN that briefing you are talking about he said that I could use the AP and the flight director as much as I wanted. I told him I didn't 'know anything about that autopilot and I [don't] even know what a flight director is - so I'm just going to hand-fly the whole thing.

This interview summary was one of a co-worker currently in KOKC who wants to move to the KBTL office prior to the completion of training. They said that he would have a better chance if he just interviewed on an external announcement rather than try for an ERR (I think I have my terms right). Sounds crazy to me since he is already on property but I'll not try to pretend that I understand the ins-and-outs of the gov't HR system.

Btw - KFTY is moving to KRYY.
MUCH better area.
Almost makes me want to give it a try myself.