View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 08:00 AM
Flint77
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2016

Originally Posted by my6FOh View Post
Contact the VA and try to get it changed to an honorable discharge. I've known a few guys that have done that.
I've done a bit (minimal amount) of research on it and I don't think the VA can fix it. What I've found is that I'd have to go through the Naval Review Board, or something like that. Even then, it's apparently nearly impossible to get this sort of thing changed unless you can somehow document that the characterization was given in error. Even then, I don't think it'd be upgraded to an honorable, but maybe just an erroneous enlistment and general discharge. Maybe I should take a more serious look at this option though.

To the other responses, thank you. I would think that if I were completely open about this and actually got an interview where I had the chance to explain what happened, that's potentially a good thing. However, I can't be that optimistic. I would think any airline with a pool of very qualified applicants would simply see that I did not receive an honorable discharge when viewing my app and toss it out. Even though my discharge is classed as other than honorable, I would think most employers wouldn't want to waste their time going over the details of it.

Maybe the best bet is to actually contact the airlines and directly inquire about such a situation.