View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 02:01 PM
alaskadrifter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by Phteven View Post
I know your situation is a little unique since you're interested in the ANC base, but I'm with greenroute on this one - really think about why you want to come here.

ANC is very senior and stagnant. You will hardly fly at all on reserve, so little that there is a good chance you will go back to the schoolhouse because you didn't meet consolidation.

Which brings me to my next point - many things happen around here that do not make sense. Does the ANC base make sense? Doesn't matter. If it closes you are commuting to SEA or PDX to fly really inefficient schedules (six leg days, all less than hour turns, short overnights or longer overnights with hard AM/PM swaps will be the new normal - it is inevitable). I can tell you I think ANC makes a lot of sense to keep, but so did BOI when they closed it years ago and it took them 12 years to realize that was a stupid idea.

Pay here is not great, but the problem is it will get worse. Once the jets start coming in, Q400 schedules will deteriorate. For the same hours on the road you will credit much less than you would just about anywhere else. Hourly rate is only part of the picture.

The healthcare and 401k is okay for a regional, though the healthcare is now high-deductible only due to the new CBA. Also the 401k has a five-year vesting period, and you should be gone by then.

Bitter reality here, folks. We just signed in a 8-year contract that puts us somewhere around the 40 percentile of regionals in pay and work rules (for anyone who hopes to be at a regional less than 5-10 years, top end pay is pretty good). In 2+ years there is a very good chance we will be competing for last place.

Not saying this to fuel the fight in negotiations, we shackled ourselves for close to a decade on that front. Just saying this to look out for the newbies who are looking at hourly rate and thinking this place will help get you to Alaska -- do not come here.
If upgrades happen like I hear they are supposed to, how long to hold a line in ANC?