Thread: AF to airlines
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 06:05 AM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Not to start a mutual admiration 69, but Hubble is worth mentioning....

Dude was a fast track, high ranking AF officer. Has some GA credibility (will not elaborate to avoid blowing his cover.) Never been average in his whole life.

He showed up > 1 year out to start getting ready. IMHO, that approach sort of reflected what I've seen from a LOT of very credible military guys....weapons officers, TPS grads, weapon school grads, and senior officers. Even though they could buy and sell me multiple times if we compared Air Force careers, they decided to prep early, and they showed up humble and ready to learn. As one once told me: "Dude...if I learn ONE thing here today that helps me get this job the entire investment was worth it..." That approaches humbles me, and challenges my entire team to do their best to add some value.

Funny thing is most would have great jobs somewhere, even if they weren't hired by the airline. They could stay in the military, work for DOD somewhere, or take their leadership into a non-aviation field and be successful and make a very nice living.

Conversely, I sometimes get a guy...often from a regional airline...who calls a week out from the potentially biggest day of their professional life with a Legacy or FedEx interview. They cram at the last minute. If they don't get the job, they return to a 50-90k job that kicks their ass. They may get another shot, or they may spend years where they are.

14 years of interview coaching has taught me something important. Sometimes, being successful is part of a pattern, not just "luck or timing". Part of that patten is preparing early and being systematic. Hubble says he was in class on terminal leave. Well...that didn't surprise me one iota. Being ready at the right time and right place isn't just luck, its a skill set. Follow the example of the guys that have been successful and you may be "lucky" too. Usually, that example includes a lot of work and effort.