View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 09:51 PM
FlyerNY11225

Originally Posted by Vader
DCA is a very good school; however the work/training environment is not. I would suggest you go to SFB and checkout the school. I for one live near by and wanted to go to DCA so bad, but after my first few interactions and conversations with school officials and CFIs I decided not to proceed with DCA.

I'm pretty new to the forum so hello everyone. I would very much like to know th reasons if you dont mind me asking why after just a few interactions and conversations with DCA changed your mind about attending?.

I'm 25 has a fiancee and has Private, Comm, Instr, in both SEL & MEL. I'm very much aware of the cost on attending DCA. Before I relocate from NY down to sunny FL I would like to know beside cost wise if there is anything in terms of working environment/ instructor teaching and overall make up of DCA that should have me reconsider.

After speaking to a representative at DCA and the questions i've ask'd him about training cost and employment he informed me that someone at my level will be put through their advance program earning a CFI,CFII, MEI & Jet Transition. 16 or 18hrs Sim and hands on on jet. cost around $20,000.00 for everything.

Also after completing my CFII which I should obtain in 2 to 3 months max the school will then interview me to be hired as a DCA Flight Instructor making around $850-$1,300 a month. I have no problem with campus housing since they do offer housing for out of state residents. And as for the so call gaurantee interview i'm not to pumped up too much about that, yes you will get an interview but it does not mean you will be hired. Even if you were to get hired who's to say you would not be on Reserve.

Anyhow two questions the first being for the person i've replied to or anyone else that may have other reasons other than cost you would not attend DCA?. Second question for those that may have a bit more experience in the Aviation field if $20,000.00 is a good enough deal earning a CFI, CFII,MEI & Jet transition from a Airline owned School compared to an FBO?.

If wanting to know the reason why i'm considering DCA, it is not because of brand name, its because of the network it has with various agencies in terms of employment and that is very important since i may be having my own little family in the near future. If i'm going to make a huge investment I might as well sure get a return from it.