View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 02:58 PM
MWright
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: SWA F/O

Originally Posted by ZapBrannigan View Post
Has anyone considered the possibility that the lightweight jacket now, and the leather jacket preceding it have been a part of a long term plan to devalue the airline pilot position in the eyes of the general public and each other? To go from being a respected professional to the equivalent of a bus driver or service provider to lower expectations?

The fact is that appearances matter. Right or wrong people make assessments of you based on your appearance every day.

Look at a former Pan Am uniform, a Delta uniform etc. The hat, the blazer, it instantly says "airline pilot". Crisp. Professional. Quasi-military. It instills confidence and pride.

The lightweight jacket looks like something a delivery guy might wear.

I'm not trying to be a black helicopter guy, but I lament the slow death of the traditional airline pilot uniform because I do feel as though it meant something.

That said I would happily ditch the tie. [emoji23]
Didn't the pilots complain for years and get the company to cave and allow this new jacket?

I'm not wild about how they look and won't be buying one. The leather jacket, when properly sized and zipped up, looks good.

Unfortunately, plenty of guys at all airlines who don't wear the proper size of various uniform items. Giant baggy shirts, pants that bunch up around the ankles, yellow/stained shirts, thick rubber-soled shoes. My buddies with jobs outside the industry don't dress like that - why do we?