Thread: Career Plan
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 12:42 PM
SecretSquirrel
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Default Career Plan

I'm new to this forum. I've done a lot of research on the different ways of becoming a pilot. I still have some unanswered questions though.

Some background info: I am 23 and a veteran. I have 2 years of school in finance.

This is my plan:

Use my Post 9/11 GI bill to go to Embry Riddle for a bachelor's degree in aeronautical science. From what I understand this will allow me to graduate with an ATP-r cert which will allow me to become a first officer at a regional airline. I will graduate without debt because of my GI bill.

Then I will use my remaining military benefits to finish my BS in finance or marketing. This will allow me to have a real bachelor's degree, which is necessary to be competitive when applying for large airlines such as Delta in the future. It also creates a safety net in case I can't fly in the future. The way my benefits work, it is best to get my aeronautics degree first then finish my BS in finance.

I do have a few questions. Does graduating from somewhere like Embry Riddle automatically give me my ATP-r or does it just lower the hours and I will still have to build hours to eventually reach my ATP-r? Does graduating from a school like Embry-Riddle give me a better shot at going straight into a regional airline as a first officer or captain?

I would appreciate any advice. I'm trying to build a game plan for my life.