Old 03-31-2016, 10:29 AM
hindsight2020
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

When it comes to lack of support for airline pilots, the position is rather non-partisan imo. Neither party supports the best interest of your income leverage. Even the traditional Democratic assumption of labor support is disingenuous when they are the pushers of the middle class killing via NAFTA/CAFTA and TPP. The Republican position is and has been outwardly corporatist from the get-go, so nothing new to report there.

This job will eventually be another casualty of globalization. Me, I tend to write-in my votes on a piecemeal basis. The only thing I can affect is how I position myself financially when the end comes to this job (cabotage, technology obsolescence). Diversifying household income is one way I'm trying to afford life (sending the wife to nursing school), also living below my income, which I recognize it's not palatable to many fraus out there. With the RLA and the public's entitlement to the idea of air transport as a public commodity, airline unions are not real unions anyways. I'm not advocating their dissolution, I think it beats the alternative; I'm merely pointing out their leverage in today's labor environment is weak at best.

I also agree with the other poster regarding retirement. As nice as having a pension is, there's no way I take an IOU from a private employer, ever. B-funds are the only thing I'd take for deferred compensation. Government pensions OTOH are a lot more palatable to me only because stiffing me out of those creates havoc for the entire street, which insulates me. When I'm the only one in the street suffering, as was the case with the airline pension wipes, I can't successfully socialize my loss into political action. I'm a populist that way. Why wouldn't I be? Airline pilot is not a unique skillset the way some on here try to think it is. I'm no trained surgeon, I'm not a price setter. Strength in numbers then.