View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Roper92
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Maddog FO

Originally Posted by flyguy37 View Post
You can never confirm upgrade times but simple math is all we got.

2700 pilots with a company desired 60/40 PIC/SIC ratio = most junior captain at SN 1620. We are averaging attrition of just under 8 pilots a month recently. So to move up the required 1080 spots to upgrade would take 11.25 years. That is assuming all attrition is from people senior to you which obviously as you progress that would not be the case. Also we are still well above that 60/40 ratio by 200 captains so that will have to work itself out before upgrades start. That could tack on a few years to the 11.25 number as could recession etc. Most attrition has been 50/50 between FOs leaving for the airlines and Captains leaving for the airlines or retiring/dying. I'm not an NJ hater but those who come here should be well aware of what they are coming into and would be silly to not at least consider other options with greater career progression, greater earning potential and lower workload.
There is quite a large difference between 11.25 and 20+. Now I heard somewhere NJA has around 800 60+ year olds. Is that true? If so, I'd imagine that 8/mo attrition number would go up quite a bit as they can't stay forever.