Thread: Allegiant Air
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 05:03 PM
fishforfun
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Hoping for any position

Originally Posted by eagleatr View Post
Last year, when I was debating about staying or leaving, my wife and I discussed the reasons I should stay at Allegiant. The only one we could come up with was being home every night. However, that turned out to not be that big of an advantage due to all the delays. I was getting home at night with everyone in bed, and sometimes having to leave in the morning with every one in bed. What's the point of being home every night if I don't get to see my family much.

The reasons for leaving ended up being pretty long, and it had a lot in common with what you were saying. The two biggest reasons I left were poor maintenance, and the fact that the operation seemed unsustainable in the long term the way it was being operated, at lease to me.

It was a harder decision to leave than what I thought it would be. After nearly 10 years there, I was comfortable, and I knew what boundaries I could push and which ones I couldn't.

I will admit having second thoughts about leaving in the first month during training at the new company. I haven't had any since then. Once I got out of training, I realized there was no real comparison between the new place and Allegiant. My life now is much, much easier. All I have to do is show up and fly. It's a really pleasant change. Plus all the time off I get now doesn't hurt either.
Again, in my very short time here that is exactly what I have experienced. Even bidding top 35% I could get mostly mornings but 30 min-2 hour delays were so common that anything we had planned for the afternoon was shot. I haven't spent a night in a hotel room since December but I've almost missed some very big events with the kids due to delays. And I can almost bet over nights will be coming. It's only a matter of time and if that is the only thing keeping you, that's some pretty thin ice.