View Single Post
Old 04-06-2016, 06:21 AM
dckozak
done, gone skiing

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Rocking chair

The DHL play book is a common thread among German companies doing business/owning companies in the USA. I have friends (not in aviation) working for companies that a German firm bought and are now branded and controlled/managed from the other side. German management (and by extension, their society) treats its own very well. Whether its by law, custom, or labor negotiated, Germans give them selves a lot of paid time off, generous pay, and even better benefits. My (management) friend tells me at his place, they often work days when this bosses are off (German holidays, which are many) and he and his American colleges are expected to work and pay for benefits that the brothers "over there" have by law or common practice.

Having seen how DHL treated/worked with subcontractors in the past and present, it's obvious that DHL model to compete, at least in the USA, is to whipsaw its American labor to try and compete with its (higher cost) American competitors. I believe that DHL in particular, and German industry's owning companies in the USA generally, look down on American labor. They see low union participation in US in general and consider US labor to dumb to look after their own interests by organizing. BMW is a good example. They came to South Carolina, not for the weather or great location, but for the non unionized labor they could expect from the local work force. You can see how they've been rewarded, with a factory set up in Mexico after the fact.

Good luck Atlas, Southern, and all others being whipsawed by their managements/clients. At least you all have seen this show before, know how it's been played (DHL airways vs ABX). Stay strong, get united, and don't let the German machine push you around. They take care of their own (over there), make them respect and compensate you, at least to industry standard over here.