View Single Post
Old 04-16-2016, 12:05 PM
Qotsaautopilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

The reason some overseas carriers have to pay well is because they need to poach pilots from countries that train pilots and paying pilots a wage comparable or better to what they make at home is the only way they can get them to move to some godforsaken or overcrowded shiit hole of a country. That's how Emerites did it in the lost decade. They are only losing pilots now because wages at home have come up because of the Union. Yes the industry as a whole in the USA is stronger than it has been in some time but wages would be much much lower if it weren't due to being unionized. There are far to many pilot dreamers and hobbist willing to do the job for fun. Wages would dramatically drop if it weren't for unions. You saw what we all worked for in the lost decade. Why wouldn't they just leave wages at that level? Not many walked away during that time period they just *****ed all the way down the jetway.

And if the flag of convenience model proliferates enough it will once again put pressure on the US carriers to make cuts to compete and there goes wages again. It's not just wages either. It's retirement, benefits, and job security as well. I know I sure don't want to be bouncing around the world every few years trying to find that next contract and funding my own retirement out my ever decreasing wages while I watch my kids grow up on FaceTime. The entrenched legacy carriers of the US and Europe are the only places you can be a pilot earning a reasonable living and also having the stability knowing that you won't have to move your family to some third world shiit hole every few years. Because the good places on earth to raise a family won't be paying as well as the ****holes if this flag on convenience scheme takes off. The shipping and cruise industry don't pay anymore which is why it mostly employs citizens of the third world and works them like slaves.