View Single Post
Old 04-17-2016, 05:15 AM
Flyby1206
SDQ Base Chief

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: 320 CA

Originally Posted by NEDude View Post
There are a lot of misconceptions and incorrect statements in this thread.

First of all is the accusation that Norwegian is trying to back-end it way into the USA-EU 'Open Skies' agreement. The argument is that Norway, not being an EU country, is not covered and thus a Norwegian company has to set up a shell company in an EU nation in order take advantage of the 'Open Skies' agreement. While it is correct that Norway is not a member of the EU, Norway (and Iceland - which is also not an EU member, contrary to a claim made on this thread), was included into the EU-USA 'Open Skies' treaty in a June 2011 amendment. Article 2 of the 2011 Amendment reads: "The provisions of the Air Transport Agreement, as amended by the Protocol, shall apply to Iceland and Norway as though they were Member States of the European Union, so that Iceland and Norway shall have all of the rights and obligations of Member States under that agreement. The provisions of the Annex to this Agreement form an integral part of this Agreement." So the claim that Norwegian needs to form its Irish subsidiary to take advantage of the 'Open Skies' agreement is false. The full 2007 Open Skies treaty, the 2010 and 2011 Amendments are all available on the US State Department website.

Air Transport Agreements Between the U.S. and the European Union

The second claim that has been made is that Norwegian Air International is not going to operate within Ireland. These claims are also incorrect as NAI has announced plans to fly from both Cork and Shannon.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...yaI/story.html

Shannon confirms deal with Norwegian Air | The Clare Herald

I am not posting this as a sign I am in favour of Norwegian. But I am saying that if you are going to oppose something, at least oppose it based on facts, not falsehoods.
Thanks for posting, I had some misconceptions. Is there anything prohibiting the 'flag of convienience' to get around labor laws? The Norway labor laws are more restrictive than Ireland, which I assume would be the main reason for establishing the air carrier certificate there.