Old 04-17-2016, 10:47 AM
dogismycopilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008

Originally Posted by rvr1800 View Post
The regionals put guys in the right seat with 1500 hours because they have to. They can't recruit guys with more experience because their pay is awful. We don't have a problem with recruiting experienced pilots and I don't foresee us having a problem recruiting in the future either. This program is completely unnecessary for Jetblue. It's a waste of money for the potential pilots in the program and for Jetblue.
While this may be true today, this will not always be the case. A NYT article released today says "the number of pilots the majors are going to need in the coming years will burn through our entire work force unless there’s some sort of intervention." What will JetBlue, Spirit, and the majors do if this is the case? It's going to get really interesting. While I don't agree with the way JetBlue has handled the whole situation (keeping ALPA out of the loop), Ab Initio programs are going to happen. I am sure the majors are looking for more sustainable supplies of pilots. I wouldn't be suprised to see the majors start similar programs, the exception being an extended stop at one of the c-scale regionals along the way. Funny, most of those major airline unions would like to bring their RJ flying in house. What would their Ab Initio pipeline look like if they did? Is it a better strategy to alienate the new Ab Initio pilots or bring them into the fold as full fledged Air Line pilots? Leave it to JetBlue to choose the "contrarian" way forward. I am interested to see how this is going to play out.