View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 07:20 PM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

I heard the first words of this little change this morning... If it's true, I think it's going to be a disaster in regards to operational capacity and flow... particularly at airports that are already pushing the limit such as ORD, LAX, LGA, and ATL.

How does this affect ops that TIPH on a departure only runway? Such as LGA? (Aircraft TIPH and wait for the arrival to land on the crossing runway)

If I was a controller, I would be a lot more conservative on how much separation arrivals had so that I could launch planes. I know many controllers out there that aren't comfortable launching planes in 3 mile gaps, even with TIPH clearances. Many that I've come across at the medium sized airports (and some screwed up major airports), can't comfortably launch planes with less than 4-5 miles between arrivals.

There has to be a better way to reduce runway separation issues, but I don't think that this is one of the ones that will really help as much as it hurts. Perhaps they could create some sort of visual warning system to warn aircraft on the approach that another plane is holding in position (such as changing TDZ lights red or something).

Last edited by FlyerJosh; 03-07-2006 at 07:23 PM.