View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 03:04 PM
NEDude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Originally Posted by Fecking EJet View Post
That is utterly false, it's hugely below market rates in Europe for this type of job. Norwegian are a disgrace, worse than Ryanair. I fly for BA and the vast majority of our 787 FOs are making more than Norwegians top paid 787 CAs.
But how many jobs with legacy airlines are actually available in Europe right now? How many of them are available for someone in their 40's or 50's? British Airways, Lufthansa, KLM, etc. will never look at experienced captain in their 40's or 50's. This is very different than the U.S. market where that same experienced captain will have a legitimate shot at American, Delta or United. Your opportunities in Europe drop significantly once you hit 30, and they are virtually non-existent with the legacy airlines. So for an older and experienced pilot, the jobs available are typically seasonal contract jobs (e.g. Aegean), charter airlines (e.g. Small Planet), or LCCs (e.g. Norwegian). For the jobs currently available for experienced captains, the salary for the Norwegian 787 contract is very much in the normal range. I say this as an experienced captain in my 40's who has been looking for a job in Europe (yes I have an EASA ATPL and EU citizenship).