View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Toccata
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: DC10 Captain

Originally Posted by Purple Nugget View Post
With regards to your first quote, section 1.3.....

The CBA definition of "International Flights" HAVE to touch U.S. soil. Flights intra-Europe and intra-Asia are NOT included.

Flights intra-Canada are currently flown on FedEx registered aircraft over 60,000 lbs. by Canadian crews. (Morningstar.) This is done because of cabatoge laws.

Our current CBA states that for ANY reason, FedEx may codeshare, wet lease, and interline on any extra-territorial flights (inter-Europe, inter-Asia.)

So unless a flight touches the lower 48 inbound or outbound, we are not guaranteed or entitled to fly it. Therein lies the problem, and the LOA does nothing to close that.
Thanks for the input. That is true, and the weakness in Scope you mention does still appear to still exist.

I'm wondering why the wording "...aircraft registered in the United States..." will now exist if this gets approved. Why is it needed when it does not currently exist? Who put it in?

Am I missing how it is enhancing our current Scope?

Is it making it easier for FedEx to purchase and operate a foreign carrier?

Would it provide an opening for said carrier to land in ANC?

I don't have the answer, but I do find it hard to believe that some lawyer just threw it in there for no reason at all.