View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 11:04 PM
fatmike69
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: EMB120 CA

Originally Posted by PinnacleFO View Post
I was reading an article on this crash (the one that happened right after 9/11) and something just doesnt sit well with me about it. Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist on this one, but if that really went down to wake turbulence, why has it never happened again, especially with all the A300s FEDEX flies.

Discuss........................
From what I gather, training procedures have been modified at most airlines now to not use extremely aggressive rudder inputs to combat wake turbulence (full scale deflection one way to immediate full scale deflection the other). I also think that even without modified training procedures that the likelihood of doing something like this is also very rare. In 2 years in the CRJ and LOTS of wake encounters, I have never come close to a maneuver such as this (I have done a near full-scale in ONE direction before, but not even close to bringing it the other way). I just think that a very rare circumstance presented itself to this flight crew, who were also unaware that they could in fact break the tail off with extreme rudder inputs. In the investigation it was demonstrated by Airbus that the load limits had been exceeded, so they blamed American. American of course blamed Airbus for not informing them that a maneuver like this could cause a catastrophic structural failure. No conspiracy here, just an un-trained for circumstance for an unfortunate flight crew.