View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 06:47 AM
NoWake200
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: At the Blue Line

Originally Posted by shackone View Post
Composite or no composite, the answer is simple. Rolling caused by vortices is controlled with aileron, not rudder. If the flight recorder data is to be believed, and I don't know why it shouldn't be, then the recovery was badly and wrongly flown.
That is a true statement, when flying jets the only time you use rudder is for V1 cuts, takeoff, and landing(s).

Originally Posted by Spartan07 View Post
He was also unaware that on the Bus, while in flight, the rudder becomes very sensitive to pedal movement. In fact, only a couple of inches of pedal movement put the rudder at the full stop. Being unaware........
Spartan07, not just the Bus but all big jets that I have flown. They are called "feel units". Basically they are computers that correct for speed giving the pilot normal rudder/elevator/aileron inputs but limiting the actual deflection. They should have know this I would think. But when the company writing you the check every month tells you do it this way sometimes you do not have a choice.....at least in training.

Originally Posted by shackone View Post
That's not correct.

At that time, the use of rudder in unusual attitude recoveries was getting considerable emphasis. The annual recurrent training on the subject included a presentation by an AA Captain ( a former military pilot) where he included control techniques that were more appropriate to high performance fighter type aircraft.

He was not, if I remember correctly, recommending or teaching rudder as the primary flight control in unusual attitude recoveries...but he was placing a lot of emphasis on rudder use.

At the time, I was surprised at the emphasis he put on these techniques...having flown fighters myself, I understood his points but thought his emphasis might be misunderstood by other pilots who might take his words out of context.

Sadly enough, that may have been the case. Thankfully, that presentation is no longer used.
That presentation is STILL being used!!! The last training event I attended showed the video. But then again the training center is being run by X-fighter pilots.