View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 03:57 AM
full of luv
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Narrow/Left Wide/Right

Originally Posted by Trail Blazer View Post
SWA is the more stable carrier due to the fact that they mainly operate under an isolated blanket within the US. Some look at a single fleet type as boring or a negative but as far as profits and getting a paycheck it's ideal. The cost savings and synergies that come with an all B737 fleet are staggering for SWA. Look no further than Southwest's profits, history, and balance sheet, it's a cash cow!

Delta is a solid carrier and is finally making strong profits, however, their international routes are shrinking with no end in sight. They do have a high number of upcoming retirements to soften the blow of a shrinking international system. Delta has reduced their debt and is certainly financially healthier than they have ever been. However, they have far too many fleet types which will hurt them bad in a down turn and some uncertainty in management with a new CEO at the helm.

Both airlines are solid but I will say from my large sample size that the guys I know at SWA are definitely happier and complain far less than the guys I know at Delta.

I don't have a dog in this fight, both are good companies.
Not to try and sway your opinion, but for every argument you make, the opposite can be said. Yes, DAL has multiple fleet types, but that's because they serve multiple types of markets. SWA will realize this if/when they want to really serve Central/South America that often the belly cargo makes the difference between profit and loss, and not much room for belly cargo on a 737. So your "staggering" savings can also be a hinderance. Granted Boeing has figured out a way to have the 737 type cover everything from an RJ to 757, but still limited by overall design and performance.

I know many happy Delta pilots as well, in fact I know many FO's that made over $250K last year that could bid Captain if they wanted, yet still complain over beers about the lack of a contract. As they say in the Navy, "A *****in sailor is actually a happy sailor", it's what they do.

Lastly, the notion that there is a "shrinking" international system is quite overstated on APC by posters. DAL has additional 330's and 350's enroute and mgmt has been rumored to be waiting for more gently used 777's to hit the market at depressed prices.

Pilots will complain that they don't have over a 100 777's flying to destinations wherever, and then if they do, you'll have pilots posting about how horrid international flying is.

IMHO this decision is best decided by where you want to live and if it's a base for a particular carrier then that nearly trumps all else.