View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 02:06 PM
Black and Blue
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2016
Default When did you know its time to leave?

I am pretty new to the job. Regional FO at a growing and well paying 121. I thought flying large aircraft and travelling would be a blast, but honestly, it wasn't what I thought. Not fulfilling, often not challenging, and I find myself thinking of what I would be doing if I was in a different career and home. The time away from home is brutal, commuting sucks, and I am not willing to move to base for a regional - too many roots where I am at. I kind of feel like I am in this lull of "How can I keep this up for the rest of my career?". I am pretty young, early 20's, so still plenty of life left. I do have an alternate career plan that I've been pursuing part-time on my off days and that I love every time I get to do it. Its exciting, fulfilling, pay is alright (nothing special), work relatively independent (plus for me), and I am home every night with a company car full of toys.

I guess my question here is when did you know that you wanted to get out? was there a straw that broke the camel's back? did anyone have this feeling and then found as you gain seniority/experience it goes away? I can always leave for three or four years and come back into it if I wanted to pretty easily (can flight instruct part-time while I'm out to stay current). I am just nervous about leaving then having to restart in seniority in 5 or 10 years if I wanted back in.

Two lines of thinking: Im 23 - stick with it and I could be top #100 at a major one day. Im 23 - I could dick around as a LEO for 5 years, jump back in at 28 and still be senior at a major one day, just have some rougher times in the early 30s playing catch up.

Anyone with a similar experience/thoughts care to share their perspective?