Thread: Akron crash
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 02:12 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Reading the released documents indicates that knowing how ceiling is measured was the absolute LEAST of this crew's problems. How 'bout basic pilot skills, basic crew coordination and CRM? High time means zero especially looking at the co-pilot's history. Flunking training with those comments reminds of an old crusty DO who used to say, "what do you tell a guy who's flying airplanes and he should be selling shoes?"

GF
It is pretty incredible to read. I wish we could have actual audio to hear the tones of what people are saying - I am also surprised that nobody, on a previous flight, just said "hey, this guy should not be flying." This was a theme with Marvin Renslow also. Occasionally I find that the terrible few are incredibly nice people, otherwise they would have been fired.

Let's face it, when paired with somebody very competent, even a terrible professional pilot will have a flight that has a extremely high probability of completing successfully. In fact improved CRM will help these guys get through the system better as they can then rely on their competent colleagues whether they are higher or lower ranked. Pairing two lower performing individuals will eventually result in disaster.

I'd never expect such chaos in the professional world, but I'm not overly surprised. We deal with similar issues in my pro field.