View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 07:41 PM
Black and Blue
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
It is rare to find someone that can afford to think so little of their career after achieving a degree and ATP rating.
I agree. I feel as if I should I should be excited and motivated after reaching this point after so long trying. But in the end, it's forced. I am by no means the worlds greatest pilot, but the cockpit has already turned into a mundane routine with less than 6 months on line. There are moments of fun and learning and amazement, followed by a slam click at a double tree with nothing in walking distance wishing I could go hiking, or out with friends, or find another girlfriend.

Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
I'm not in your shoes, but I can tell you are not in the wrong career. You are in the wrong job. There are way too many paths in aviation to feel pigeon holed by a bad experience at an airline you have to commute to.

Unfortunately, that may be where the money is for you. Wherever you live, there may be a glass ceiling for locally based aviation jobs. My best advice is to get enough experience under your belt to make yourself marketable again if you quit and then come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate the advice. I guess the only way to know for sure is to give it a try in something else to compare. For me, its not the company. The company is excellent - treats me well and pays top tier, its more the lifestyle and job function. I would try to get at least 1000 or 1500 turbine in type prior to leaving, which would hopefully make me more marketable to various positions. If i stay for 1.5 years I should upgrade, so if the hiring process takes too long in my other career, I may end up staying for the TPIC...wait a couple more years tho and get a major interview...pass that and then leaving would be darn near impossible.

Originally Posted by ja2c View Post
I'm 5.5 years deep at a regional. I'm trying to get to a major before I quit, but it's not looking promising. Some how, God made people to like airport terminals and hotel rooms, I just wasn't one of them. Everybody says a major will be better. But will it?
My thoughts exactly. Will I be so much happier in 5 to 7 years at a Major doing the EXACT same job just making more money with a couple extra more days off. I would probably move to base for a major, so that would help a lot, but ultimately the job won't change. Its just so hard to make a decision to leave in such a strong hiring environment with no guarantee that this wave of hiring will ever come again. I may not be a top tier 1 candidate, but I have enough diversity to hopefully be marketable to a major one day.