View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 08:11 AM
Timbo
Runs with scissors

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Going to hell in a bucket, but enjoying the ride .

Originally Posted by badflaps View Post
He has probably seen you drag in after 17 hours of banging around the world. There are easier ways to make a living.
He has many times mentioned my being gone 'all the time' during his upbringing, which is a huge exaggeration on his part, since I rarely wored more than 12-15 days a month. And when I was home, I spent lots of hours coaching his basketball, baseball, soccer teams and flying the J3 Cub with him.

But if you're not home for dinner -every night- well, he and my 3 other kids saw it as me being gone, 'all the time'.

His hang-up now is, he's got a steady girlfriend and he doesn't want to be gone from her at all. At All. As in, never.

When I was 23 I had a steady girlfriend too, for 3 years, but I wanted to fly, badly (I had over 4000 hours at 23).

I was about to ask her to marry me just before I left for UPT, until she said,

"You don't expect me to wait for you, do you?"

Well, long story short, she broke my heart and I took it out on every woman I dated for the next 5 years!

Now my wife and 3 daughters are trying to get even... for all of them!

My mom just laughs and says, "Serves you right!"

So anyway...my son and not many of his friends are interested in joining the military and/or flying for a living. I doubt they could put their phones down and stop texting long enough to get through a 1 hour lesson anyway.