View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 04:52 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by WEACLRS
Are you referring to internal company upgrades and transistions, or to outside new hires?

Do you think it's related to the automation (FMS, glass, etc) or ?? I spend my days slash alpha. The SAAB has a great autopilot and good EADI and EFIS, but otherwise it's dual nav/coms, DME's, and an ADF. I'm curious if you (or anyone else) thinks the lack of FMS style PIC time is of any real concern or, if one is competent generally, those skills can be readily picked up in training.

We have had a few of captain upgrades fail recently for "soft skills" - lack of command authority. Call it seasoning or whatever, but guys aren't ready when the call comes. Our FAA ACPM has indicated this is a problem the FAA is concerned about at a number of regional airlines. Are you guys seeing any of this too? I'm inclined to chalk it up to the quick upgrade...
Company upgrades from small turboprops (non-auto-pilot) to RJ, any seat. It's weird, I actually don't understand it. Maybe it's just difficult to break out of hand flying/steam guage mind-set into glass/FMS. I guess the point I'm making is if you're on turbo-props now, don't expect a slam-dunk transition into the RJ.