View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 12:57 PM
kme9418
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2009
Position: A320 CA

Originally Posted by nsavandal09 View Post
Heck you don't need an NCO, a GS-5 would be just fine. In your plan that's 5 more civilians per flying squadron.

Assuming long as you keep a ratio of about 1 pilot retained for every 20 civilians hired the AF saves money by reducing UPT costs. If you cut demand for UPT slots you BRAC a base and return 100+ pilots to big blue and who knows how many millions are saved.

The AF gets better and more experienced pilots for Day 1 of the campaign vs a JATWSH or North Korea scenario.

Congress gets a cheaper, more combat effective military plus dozens of jobs in their district.

Everybody wins in this scenario, what's not to like?
What's not to like? (I agree with you in concept.) I am a pilot and currently do all or part of the management duties listed above which I detest. There's a talent shortage. You can't find/retain someone sharp enough to take over the "management" functions currently done by the highest educated/experienced managers in the squadron (pilots). Nobody who can take over the level of staff work currently done by pilots (and some other officers and some smart NCO's) will work for GS-5 or even GS-12 pay.