View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 07:06 PM
155mm
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by Devil 09 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Still not getting any idea on insurance for a pilot with over 1000 hours in a 172. I was looking at a 150 since they seem to be mid $20k and cheap to operate. Aside from purchase price is a 172 significantly more expensive to operate. The Annual inspection isn't a big deal I have plenty of friends that are IA for their own planes. They all fly money's but those seem to be out of my budget right now.
I thought you wanted something for the Family? A Cessna 150 burns about 5 to 6 gallons an hour. Believe it or not, the Cessna 172 is about the same cost to insure, maintain, buy parts, etc. as a C150. It burns around 7 to 8 gallons an hour with a 150 hp engine and you can get one with a fairly good instrument panel. I would avoid the 6 cylinder Continental engine, seems to not cool evenly and has a lower TBO. The 4 cylinder Lycoming is virtually bullet proof and has a high TBO. Insurance depends on what you want and how high the deductible just like a car they have hull damage, medical and liability. It's been 15 years ago since I owned my C172 and it cost me about $1500 a year. You need to call Avemco for a quote since prices have changed! Ask them for a quote on a 1976 C172 M model for a private pilot.

POH
http://www.blueridgesportflight.com/C172MPOH.pdf