View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 08:48 PM
Pedro4President
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by RyanP View Post
They have been putting people in both, EMJ and CRJ. You could probably ask for one or the other to be honest. They would be glad to have someone not with a hard on for the 175 I would imagine.

I'm not sure the reserve time ORD CRJ FO, an ORD FO on here will have to pull a 3XP or 3BR and check where the junior line holder sits, I can't look at that code from my status. I just looked at the reserve list but it's hard to tell because a lot of the senior FO's on there are bidding reserve intentionally.

Having flown both the CRJ and thousands of hours in the EMB145. The CRJ 700 wins hands down in being a better airplane. It's much nicer to fly, quieter, more comfortable, way better performance, faster, higher, way better climb rate than the EMB, better radar, way better FMS, nicer in the back for passengers with a first class section, so you can get meals sometimes, just feels like a real jet. I don't know anyone who has flown both that would prefer flying the 145 everything else being equal scheduling or base wise.

The 145 isn't bad, it's just the CRJ is kinda like a Ford Mustang, sportier, has some power and a nicer cockpit, looks nicer, can be a little finicky at times. Where the 145 is like a Ford Focus, cheap, reliable, not much performance, basic minimal simple cockpit, but gets the job done. The 145 is a great transition aircraft for someone coming from a GA background though. The CRJ has a steeper learning curve.

The 145 is easier to fly, easy to land, very forgiving. It flies to more smaller uncontrolled places. Generally does more legs per day and shorter distance flights but not always. Some people like more short hops, some people like a couple long legs a day. Just depends on the person. EMB is also a much bigger fleet so their is more scheduling variety, more options, more destinations.

So hard to say. Both have benefits. Me, I would take the CRJ though. I really liked flying it.
Give me the 145 any day of the week. I flew both airplanes and I would pick the 145 no questions asked.

His description is spot on but I would add a couple more. The heating in the CRJ is terrible. It sucks really bad when you have to preflight in the snow when it's below zero and the wind is 30knots. Also, the location of the PTT button is in a really awkward position on the CRJ.