Thread: What's ALPA doing with windfall?

Flying Boxes , 05-26-2016 03:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off
Flying Boxes
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Sep 2006
Quote: Yes... I am 34 and finishing up my instrument rating.

I am single with good credit but decided to make a career change to be a pilot. The only place I could get a loan for training was Sallie Mae, and that is at 12%.

Needless to say, because I am single and flexible I can make this work. Most people my age are not and can not.

If I was 24 it would make a lot more sense.

Going to college for flight training is a bad move because it means one is putting all of the eggs in one basket. So the smart person gets a degree in something outside of aviation (or maybe aviation business), and then pursues their flight training after college. But because there is only 1, maybe 2 lenders available, we get taken to the bank, literally.

I will be unable to make my full monthly loan payments for the first few years, even moving back in with my parents, I am well aware of that. I will be "closing my eyes and thinking of England".

Not exactly an attractive proposition, eh? I mean, is it any wonder why people are not flocking to the industry.
Quote: Wrong! Factually incorrect:

Air Line Pilots Assn: Summary | OpenSecrets
Why do you hate ALPA so much, if you're not even in the business yet??? What did ALPA do to you?

Or are you a TROLL?