View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 08:05 AM
Neptune
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2016
Position: MV-22
Default Advise on transitioning next year

New member here. Love the info on this forum and I'm trying to soak it all up.

I can retire next summer and I'm starting to feel the crunch. There's a lot I feel I need to accomplish in my final year to make myself marketable. My goal is to make it to the airlines within 2 years of exiting the Marines. Here's a few things I'm weighing. I'd appreciate any advise on how to approach it and/or what to place a higher priority on. I'll be exiting with around 1500TT (1000 MV-22).

- Flying the MV-22 doesn't give me the FW PIC hours for the ATP. I expect to do a minimum of a year of civilian flying. Any downside to taking an oversees job (L3 type job) over a regional?

- I'm about 60 hours shy on FW PIC. Should I just pay for some Cessna hours and get the ATP done before retiring or would I just wasting money if I'll be flying regionals/charter afterwards?

- I read that many airlines using third party services to pool applicants and quals can build you points. I'm NSI, FRSI, STANI, ANI, Inst evaluator. Is there any value in testing out with the FSDO for a CFII, even if I don't plan on instructing? Also, is there anything else that would be looked upon favorably (other quals, ground jobs, volunteering, recommendations, etc.)?

Thanks a lot in advance.