View Single Post
Old 05-29-2016, 10:42 AM
Armypilotc12
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2016
Default Question about ASI Job

Hi all, read through the entire thread and had a few questions that I hoped could be answered. I'm looking at transitioning from Active Duty to the FAA and was wondering how far out I should apply. Right now I have 18 months left of service.

Number two, I am hoping for a slot in southern California. Does anyone know if that particular region is hard to get? My family is there and I am really trying to get back there to them.

Third, as far as credentials go, I am a CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII, IGI, AGI with ATP AMEL and Commercial and instrument rotorcraft. Currently typed in BE-200, BE-300, BE-400, MU-300, BE-1900, SJ-30, and S-70. Total time will be just shy of 4000 leaving the army, most of that turbine pic AMEL. I am also an aviation safety officer and have attended the federal course. I currently develop, manage, and implement my units SMS. How competitive am I, in your opinion and is their anything else I should be doing to prepare?

Lastly, the check ride for the job.....where is it conducted (AFW or DAL) for GA. I read that Denver does the 37 sim. Is their an FAA check ride unit or office or do they just grab random guys from the FSDO to do your eval?

Thanks everyone for sharing all your information. I really appreciate it.