Old 06-06-2016, 06:43 AM
HVYMETALDRVR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2013
Position: FO

I have friends/acquiantances that are/were at Emirates, Qatar, and another corporate company. All bolted out the door as soon as their bond was up, one of my friends still has some time left on his. I've spent a good amount of time flying in the Middle East now myself, I can't say that I'd recommend it for someone with a young family. The only guy I know that tried it with a family lasted less than a year and I'm pretty sure if he goes back to said country he will be arrested. Ten days off a month (3-4 given on the road) will do that to you.

If did HAVE to live somewhere over here with a family, it would be Dubai or Abu Dhabi, nowhere else. Both cities are nice and flashy on the outside, but look a little closer? Rampant prostitution, outrageously expensive everything, lack or free speech, unbearable heat, and other huge cultural hurdles that you take for granted in the USA. Consider this, even in UAE, you are within driving range of ISIS and Al Qaeda controlled areas, not exaggerating. Make sure that wherever you work your employer will pay the full cost of private school for your children, it's expensive. The shiny jet smell/feel will wear off quickly here, especially if your family isn't happy.

Now for a young guy/girl that wants to party, see the world, and doesn't mind being worked like crazy then I'd say go for it. In truth (and I have contacts that have been at all of them except for Etihad) I'd say FlyDubai is the best deal right now.

And this is all just in UAE, I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy go to KSA, Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Oman, etc. Nevermind bring the wife and kids.

That said, I also have the same bug you do and love the overseas travel and experience. When you have the flight time go for Japan or Korean Air, I've heard they have the best contracts right now. Or the better option is just get hired by a Legacy down the road and move to Japan, Guam, Philippines, St. Maartin, USVI, UK, etc. and commute from there for a few years.