Old 08-14-2007, 08:08 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Pilot_135 View Post
I have an FAR question (in real language versus lawyer speak, please).
If "I" have a private license, and an expired medical, can I still fly a light sport aircraft before renewing the medical? I belive the max horsepower is 100 for the sport aircraft. Is that true? What else do I need to know?

Also, it's been a very long time since renting an aircraft, and now I hear most FBOs require aircraft renter's insurance. This is all new to me as well. What do people recommend?
There's a minor poiint of confusion that comes up here...

For medical certification purposes you may fly a LSA with either a valid FAA medical or a valid US Drivers license. All states have some medical standards for driver's licenses, so they assume you are not blind.

An expired FAA medical is not a problem as long as you have a driver's license.

However...if your last FAA medical was revoked or denied, then you may NOT use your driver's license in lieu of an FAA medical. In this case they KNOW you're not medically fit so they are not going to allow you to fly. You would have to resolve your medical problem and obtain at least a third class FAA medical...which you could probably then allow to lapse and just go with the driver's license after that.

Basically the FAA takes the stance that what they don't know won't hurt them...