View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 06:08 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by PurpleToolBox View Post
My two cents.

If you're not in the military or in an aerobatic airplane doing aerobatics safely at altitude, then don't fly like that.

In the video you posted, the accident happened with the aircraft at 60 degrees AOB and 17 degrees ANU at 223' AGL. Not smart. You're at the aircraft limit with no altitude for recovery.

If I was flying with you in your Cessna (or any other aircraft) and you tried to get anywhere near these parameters in the traffic pattern, I would become very vocal and directive at you. I don't care what you think your airplane can or can not do.

When I flew T-34s with the USNs, they limited us to 30 degrees AOB for traffic patterns. If you needed more than that, you screwed up.

In the business jets, B1900, and heavies I've flown since, I have always been taught to never exceed 30 degrees AOB in the pattern.

Again, my two cents.
Yes, that is exactly my point. Most military craft, a T-34, business jet, B1900, a heavy, or CIRRUS should not be flown like a slow low performance airfoil or a semi-symmetrical aerobatic wing. Teaching "no more than 30 degrees bank" is probably reasonable but I would insist on more knowledge of what presents the actual dangers from any aviator (that is: it is not the bank itself that is a problem).

There are numerous cases where a poor stick tries to salvage a base to final overshoot by using rudder BECAUSE they were told "no more than 30 degrees bank" with fatal results. Somebody that can understand those principles is a much safer and knowledgeable pilot than somebody who recites.

Know thy craft, and fly it properly. What you can do well within performance envelopes in a cub vs 182 vs a cirrus are not the same, and this must be understood by the pilot.