View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 05:16 AM
MaydayMark
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: MD-11 Captain

Originally Posted by CloudSailor View Post
I remember watching her in a video years ago, discussing the unconstitutionality of the federal income tax - quite convincing (I still choose to pay though ). She won against the IRS's criminal charges, although apparently she still had to pay the bill. Still, pretty impressive.

I had the opportunity to fly with her (it's mildly interesting that she used to be a Flight Attendant), in fact I was the DC-10 s/o on her first Captain Line Check after upgrade training. She was a ten year FedEx employee and I remember hoping I might be a 10 year DC-10 Captain! Years later I had the same LCA Captain for an MD-11 Line Check. I told him that I remembered him from her Line Check. He said his LCA peers gave him max sh*t for even considering passing her on her check ride. He wanted me to say she wasn't really that bad. I thought she was!*?

The short version of her story was that she was getting advice from (admitted) Libertarian attorneys. She had some pretty nutty ideas. She claimed that you are required to file an income tax return but that actually signing it acknowledges that you owe the Gub'ment that money (so she didn't sign hers!).

She also realized that a widebody Captain makes "A LOT OF MONEY" when you don't have any taxes taken out (I vaguely remember that she didn't pay ANY taxes). She would have her check mailed to an offshore account.

Several years later there was a full page article in the Wall Street Journal, I think, about how the IRS had taken her to court. The jury decided NOT TO GIVE HER JAIL TIME because along with each of her tax returns she had attached CERTIFIED MAIL asking the IRS under what authority they had to collect said taxes. They never replied ...

I wasn't very surprised when I saw her house and cars listed for sale in the Commercial Appeal by the IRS!*?

Last edited by MaydayMark; 06-17-2016 at 05:27 AM.