What’s it doing now?
Tom a Hawk
What’s it doing now?
close
  • Joined APC
    Mar 2011
  • Position
    190CA
Quote: Hello all, first time poster. We all know that traditionally (the last decade or so) a bachelors degree has been a requirement to get hired by one of the majors. With the forecasted hiring wave due to retirements, what are your opinions of a guy being competitive without a bachelors degree over the next 3-5 years?

I'm currently in a bit of a pickle deciding on my next move to make myself a more desirable and qualified applicant. Unfortunately when I started flying, I had enough saved to either finish my flight ratings or go to college.

My current situation allows for one of two options. Stay debt free, keep plugging away at my regional job flying 90 hours with 12 days off in month. Volunteer my time on days off to causes that could genuinely use a helping hand; be productive and offer some real help.

Option two- take out student loans to finish an online degree in my free time. Would wind up digging myself a $25,000 hole and take about 3 years to wrap up. I'm ok with that if it would put me in a position to be hired by a company that pays better than a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle.

I talk with guys in the jumpseat that say 5 years from now, the big three will be hiring guys without a degree on a regular basis. I'm looking for your opinions because I don't want to look back and say 'I should have started the degree years ago because now I'm stuck here' or 'I should have never taken out the loans and done the degree because it wasn't even needed.'
If that's what you want to be, get the degree, in anything you want to study. Getting a call earlier in that 5 year window you talk about matters. Seniority matters. 25k is only the cost of one car.