Thread: Singapore 368 Turnback, Catches Fire

PurpleToolBox , 06-27-2016 05:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off
PurpleToolBox
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Apr 2013
Quote: Open the window and stick your head out. Walk back to the cabin...lots of ways. Many 777-300's have an exterior camera system....Fires that have started exactly like this in the past have resulted in major loss of life.

Of course, I wasn't there, and don't know all the circumstances, but I'll take some injuries over loss of life any day.

The evac's with higher injury rates are many times unplanned evac's. They had 2 hours to plan and prepare.
You are making decisions hindsight. They had an oil problem on a motor (so we are told). Why would they be preparing for evacuation?

Did they (cockpit crew) know they had a fire? Would you be opening the window after landing for an oil problem? "Captain, we need to open the window and check for fire", said nobody ever.

Personally, I am of the school of thought that delaying the evacuation probably prevented injury or saved lives -- assuming it was done on purpose. The delay may have been caused by incompetence or ignorance of what was happening.

Here we have another 777 engulfed in flames around the engine area after an engine issue. It will be interesting to see what the investigation reveals.