View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 05:29 AM
UPSFeeder
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Falcon 2000 Captain, Super King Air 350 Medevac Captain
Default embassy

I did write to the US embassy in Dubai, and they said that I was right that it is against both local law and US law for me to give them my passport. They said if I had done so ( I haven't) and any American in management of the company refuse to return it, they would find themselves arrested next time they tried to enter the USA. They also referred me to the Dubai Dept of Labor. That said, I can see from reading the blogs of people who work there that taking the passport is a pretty common practice. The Gulf Times newspaper did a story on it , saying it is not legal. Ironically, the Gulf Times itself holds the passports of its foreign workers. It may be that the company I am considering working for doesn't know it is illegal and is operating under guidelines from its local investors. They are new, and still writing policy, company rules, training syllabus, & Ops manual now. I think my best bet is to wait until an offer is made, and then bring up the point that it is not legal under the laws of both countries, and I would not consider giving up my rights as a US citizen to return to my country should the need arise. Good Strategy? The court system in UAE is based on who has the most status in the society, and I would not stand a chance going against a locally owned company if any dispute arose, so I am already somewhat vulnerable if they should decide to withhold my pay or something.