Old 07-05-2016, 08:52 PM
NEDude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Originally Posted by GogglesPisano View Post
Dude, compared to what we went through in the 1990's, when you needed 1,200 TT and at least 250 Multi to even hope for a chance to buy an $18K/yr job at a commuter (probably a crapped-out 19-seater at that) You've got it easy. If you didn't have the cash to buy a job you'd need 2,500/500 to be competitive. That meant a year or two of hauling checks or 135.

Having to wait 2-3 years to fly a jet, my God, how do you cope?
In 1992, when I was working on my CFI-I, my instructor thought he hit the jackpot when he got hired by Precision Airlines to fly a DO-228 (19 seat unpressurised turboprop). He had over 4,000TT and had to pay almost $15k for the job. First year pay was under $12k.

I spent close to a year sending out resumes in an attempt to get an instructor job after getting my CFI and CFI-I and got no bites. Almost every response was along the lines of "If you had 1,000 hours or more of dual given we might be willing to look at you". I was out of aviation for nearly six years after that, getting my degree and working a "real" office job before a business trip spurred me back in to aviation just at the wrong time again - landed my first airline job in the spring of 2001...