View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 03:46 AM
42GO
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: MD-11 Capt

Originally Posted by Falconjet View Post
Anybody remember Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

Our MEC/LEC are the two cheerleaders at the pep rally trying to build up spirit amongst the student body, represented by our crew force.

The irony is that ALPA is set up with such archaic and inane bylaws and rules that trying to get involved is much more painful than sitting on the sidelines and watching the grass grow. It was apparent today that many pilots have tried to make their points to the MEC/LEC and have been met with the same mantra repeated over and over again. The MEC/LEC members have not been listening, they have been talking down dissension and disagreement with an overwhelming bully pulpit.

Eventually even the hardiest soul will give up when they have beaten their head against the wall enough times, and I am afraid that many of us have reached that point. People ARE trying, and they are being stymied by the very organization that purports to represent us. So be it.

Enough of the protestations to have an better plan or get involved from the uninvolved masses. The leadership has made it clear they would prefer we pay our dues and vote yes to whatever they propose, and we have let them.

I simply hope that the current leadership has some kind of magic bean in their hip pocket to bring the disenchanted back into the fold before our next contract. I agree with them that we need to be unified, but I disagree with them over WHY we are not unified. That will likely never change, hopefully they are right and I am wrong.

FJ
Falcon, I don't think you can convince the leadership of this no matter what you do....they have their power base and are NOT going to listen to contra opinions.......thats why we had the caboose union, the buggy whip union and the Auto union lead their members into the ground......BECAUSE THEY WOULD NOT LISTEN TO THEIR MEMBERS....
Now they will say they had 63 % support and turn their heads the other way.
They WILL NOT recognize that, as other people have said 50% of those votes were from people either not interested or not affected so they voted the unions way. Eventually this will be the unions downfall in the airline industry as well....
Hopefully we get some guys that listen before WE get sucked down as well. There were only 36 % that voted against this LOA but I bet it was 80% of those that actually read it!